The computing profession, like any other is full of risks.Each peripherals device such as keyboard, monitor, mouse, and printer e.t.c of a computer system has associated injuries. Hence, accurate and precise knowledge on the 10 commandments governing computer ethics is a plus and is inevitably needed.
The system unit and monitor emit or dissipate heats that are injurious to the body.The arrangement of peripheral devices and wrong sitting posture are prone to stress injuries. The need to protect the system unit against
surge. interrupt and lighting are necessary for safe working environment.
The computer professionals and users should be aware of safety precaution to be taken when using the computer.To avoid health problems and accidents in the computer room the following safety measure should be
Good Ventilation: Air conditioner is necessary in the computer room to make the computer performs well. The computer generates a lot of heat, hence the need for the air conditioner or fan. It is also necessary for the computer user to be comfortable. The design of workstations should be such that people are maintaining neutral posture.
Setting Computers: When setting a computer room the following must be taken into consideration:
The computer must be space apart
There must be free entry and exit
All wires connecting the system should be properly disposed
A computer library should be closed to computer room.
Dust free environment:Dust should be prevented as often as possible in the computer. The floor must always be kept clean the computer and its peripheral should be covered using the dust cover after use.
Protection from power problems:The surge protectors, the use of stabilizer and UPS must be upheld to prevent any form of damage caused by power fluctuations.
Good Lightening:The computer room should be well illuminated, use of florescent tubes and bulbs to provide light to make the room bright for all the activities carried out by the computer uses is essential.
Computer Security:This involves putting in places a reliable security measures to protect both the physical measures to prevent crime”
Provision of secured guards to control access to the center
Provision of log register to monitor staff
Provision of UPS and generator to prevent accidental loss of data.
Ensuring that waste documents are properly burnt.
Ensuring that equipments are switched off when not in use
Solid construction of the computer center with secured windows
- Provision of passwords for authorized users
- Provision of data encryption method
- Provision of a system to monitor the activities of all login users
- Provision of regular audit to all computing resources
- Provision of security software to restrict the permission of the users to read only ie he cannot modify the data or copy the information
- Provision of an alarm system when an attempt is made to break into the program
- Provision of protection software to limit the user’s activities to specified directory or program
Precautions in the Computer Room : The following rule and regulations must be observed when in the computer room
- There should be no eating
- Do not rest or team
- There should be no noise or fighting in the computer room
- Handle the equipment’s with care
- All computers should be cover after use
- Do not receive visitors in the computer room
- There should be strong security around the computer room to prevent theft
- The system should be shut down or turned off after use.
CARE OF THE COMPUTER
- Computer and related devices are not heat friendly, therefore do not operate
computer in a poorly ventilated environment.
- Never switch off computers but shut down properly to avoid creating irreparable
errors on your hard disk.
- Do not leave computer or related devices while they are not being used.
- Always cover computers and other devices with their cover when they are not in
use to prevent them form dust
- Always follow the shutdown procedure and never turn off the computer until a
screen massage tells you to do so
- Do not shake the desk or table while the computer and the other related devices
are working to interrupt.
In this lesson, you have learnt that:
The computing profession, like any other is full of risks and hazards.Each peripherals device such as keyboard, monitor, mouse and printer etc of a computer system has associated unit injuries.
The computer professionals and users should be aware of safety precautions to be taken when using the computer.
Factors such as :
and protection from power problems, etc is a must to be observed in the computer environment.
Physical Security refers to the measures putting place to secure the computer hardware. UPS, Monitor, keyboard, tapes etc the following are the physical measure to prevent crime. While logical Security means building
software check/control into the system to disallow unauthorized assess.